Thursday 7 December 2017

Day 2 - Newbury to Doncaster

Being a 22kWh Zoe this journey was going to need two charges, particularly this time of year. I decided to route via MK as I was 100% sure of a rapid charge there and cost would be low on Polar. It also meant I could collect an item I had left in my car!

The timings worked well as I used a rapid near a Weatherspoon in MK and got a quick lunch while the Zoe charged. The second stop was at Donnington services on M1 where I caught up on email and had a coffee. No issues with Polar or Electric Highway.



Things didn't go so well when I arrived at the mother in law's house. She has a 16A charger we got installed a few years ago (free scheme) which works fine with the Ampera. No such joy with Zoe - it tripped the RCD and plunged a pensioner into darkness.  I had borrowed a portable EVSE so tried that and it tripped too. Clearly some of the Zoe charging stories are true!

Fortunately I hadn't arrived empty and due to a slow M1 achieved good m/kWh for time of year. Tomorrow morning I will go rapid hunting in Doncaster. Just as well I don't have work or any other commitments in the morning...